We have three ways to assist you with your writing needs - In-Person, Synchronous Virtual Sessions, and using email!
Writing Consultants can work with:
- Academic writing
- Personal statements
- Creative writing
- Personal work
They cannot work with:
- Essay tests for a class
- Career Center documents such as resumes
METHOD #1: In-Person Consultations
Service Dates: Monday, January 24 - Thursday, May 12, 2022
Making an Appointment
- Book Using My.MissouriState.edu: Go to My Missouri State and log in. See below for details.
- Call: Talk to a receptionist at (417) 836-6398
- Stop by: We're on the 1st floor of Meyer Library
- Zoom: Use the Zoom room. See below for details.
Steps to Book an In-Person Appointment Yourself
- Go to My Missouri State and log in.
- Choose the Campus Life tab.
- In the Bear CLAW channel, select the TutorTrac link. You will be taken to the TutorTrac Main Menu. (If you access TutorTrac direct, you'll need to log in).
- From here, click Search Availability. You will then see a drop-down menu titled Center.
- Select Writing Center from the drop-down menu. This will bring up several new options: Consultant, Section, From, To, Time, and Days. You can narrow your search using any of these criteria by selecting the drop-down arrow and clicking on your preferences.
- When you have finished narrowing your search, click the Search button. Any available time slots will appear.
- Click on the time slot in which you want to schedule your appointment. The Appointments Entry box should pop up.
- Fill out all necessary information in this box and click Save.
- To see appointments you have made, click Main Menu. All appointments will be listed in Upcoming Appointments.
- To cancel an appointment, click on the "x" on the right within the Upcoming Appointments box.
Visit our ZOOM Bear CLAW
To access the Zoom Receptionist room log-in to My Missouri State, navigate to the Campus Life tab, locate the Bear CLAW block, and click on the ZOOM Bear CLAW space. If you are seeking online tutoring you will have to receive a call back to make arrangements.
Hours: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday - Thursday when classes are in session.
Please call the front desk at (417) 836-6398 to make an appointment for a group paper. We'll need the names of all the writers involved to ensure everyone has access to the link.
Missing an Appointment
If you miss three appointments scheduled in advance, you will be unable to use the Bear CLAW’s services for the remainder of the semester. Canceling an appointment less than 24 hours before your scheduled time counts as a missed appointment.
Preparing for an Appointment
Our consultants will help you in every way possible during your session, but there are a few ways you can prepare ahead of time to make the most of your session:
- Please prepare your questions before your appointment
- Have your instructor's assignment sheet, related class handouts, and textbook at your side
- List your goals for your meeting
Method #2: Email Consultations
Service Dates: Monday, January 24 - Tuesday, May 10, 2022
Writers can obtain advice regarding their manuscript through an email consultation. A paper may be at any stage of the writing process. A writing consultant will read and give you an overview of the text's strengths and weaknesses.
Please email your paper or text to WritingCenter@MissouriState.edu
Rules for Submission
#1: We can accept submissions only from a valid live.missouristate.edu or .missouristate.edu accounts.
#2: Attach your manuscript as a Word or RTF document. Do not send us a link to a Dropbox, a cloud service, or SharePoint. Consultants cannot sign into them and this will cause a delay in our response.
#3: In the body of your email, please include all of the following information:
- Your first and last name.
- Your native language (if not English).
- Your Missouri State University connection: seated summer class, dual credit, satellite location, education abroad – (where?), online course, or academic department.
- Tell us about the assignment (you can also share the assignment prompt, too). We need this to assist you!
- Specific concerns and/or questions you have about your text.
#4: Drafts with comments will be returned to you as soon as possible, normally as follows:
- 1-5 pages: Up to 2 Business days.
- 6-10 pages: Up to 3 Business days.
- Over 10 pages: Up to 3-5 Business days
- Graduate Thesis: For best results, send us a chapter at a time, not the entire thesis.
- Screenplay/Stage Play: Up to 10 pages at a time.
- Book: One chapter at a time.
- NOTE: The Writing Center is closed whenever the university is closed, affecting the timeline. Please review the Academic Calendar.
#5: Submissions are read in the order they are received.
#6: Multiple submissions in one email are not allowed, so please send each one individually.
Information for Faculty & Staff
We're looking forward to assisting your students! Please contact Michael Frizell, Director of Student Learning Services, before sending your students en masse to the Online Writing Center. In your email:
Include your prompt: Students often forget to share that with us. We want to ensure we're following directions, too.
- Indicate the due date: We want to make your job easier. Sharing the due date will allow us to allocate enough consultants to meet deadlines.
- Let us know how many students we can expect: This is helpful, too!
- Verifying submissions: If you need us to verify that your student submitted a paper, let us know. We can send you the exact day of submission and the proof of consultation.