Tuesday, January 29 - Tuesday, May 4, 2021
Writing Consultants can work with:
- Academic writing
- Personal statements
- Creative writing
- Personal work
They cannot work with:
- Essay tests for a class
- Career Center documents such as resumes
The Bear CLAW Zoom Room
Talk to us using the Zoom Room! The receptionists at the Bear CLAW front desk are here to help! Log in to My Missouri State, navigate to the Campus Life tab, locate the Bear CLAW block, and click on the ZOOM Bear CLAW space.
Zoom Room Hours: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday - Thursday
Method #1: Email Consultations
Writers can obtain advice regarding their manuscript through an email consultation. A paper may be at any stage of the writing process. A writing consultant will read and give you an overview of the text's strengths and weaknesses.
Please email your paper or text to email@example.com
Rules for Submission
#1: We can accept submissions only from a valid live.missouristate.edu or .missouristate.edu accounts.
#2: Attach your manuscript as a WORD or RTF document. Do not send us a link to a Dropbox, cloud service, or Sharepoint. Consultants cannot sign into them and this will cause a delay in our response.
#3: In the body of your email, please include all of the following information:
- Your first and last name.
- Your native language (if not English).
- Your Missouri State University connection: seated summer class, dual credit, satellite location, study away – (where?), online course, or academic department.
- Tell us about the assignment (you can also share the assignment prompt, too). We really need this effectively assist you!
- Specific concerns and/or questions you have about your text.
#3: Drafts with comments will be returned to you as soon as possible, normally as follows:
- 1-5 pages: Up to 2 Business days.
- 6-10 pages: Up to 3 Business days.
- Over 10 pages: Up to 3-5 Business days
*The Writing Center is closed whenever the university is closed. Please review the Academic Calendar.
#4: Submissions are read in the order they are received.
#5: Multiple submissions in one email are not allowed, so please send each one individually.
Method #2: Synchronous Support Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
If you prefer to have a real-time consultation, writing consultants will meet with you using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra. The platform allows you to see and hear each other as well as share and edit documents in real time. Appointments must be made 24 hours in advance.
If you have questions, you may access the Zoom Receptionist room. To access the room, login to My Missouri State, navigate the Campus Life tab, locate the Bear CLAW block, and click on the ZOOM Bear CLAW space. A receptionist is available from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday – Friday.
Steps to Book & Engage in a Synchronous Appointment
- Go to My Missouri State and log in.
- Choose the Campus Life tab.
- In the Bear CLAW channel, select the TutorTrac link. You will be taken to the TutorTrac Main Menu. (If you access TutorTrac direct, you'll need to log in).
- From here, click Search Availability. You will then see a drop-down menu titled Center.
- Select Writing Center from the drop-down menu. This will bring up several new options: Consultant, Section, From, To, Time, and Days. You can narrow your search using any of these criteria by selecting the drop-down arrow and clicking on your preferences.
- When you have finished narrowing your search, click the Search button. Any available time slots will appear.
- Click on the time slot in which you want to schedule your appointment. The Appointments Entry box should pop up.
- Fill out all necessary information in this box and click Save.
- To see appointments you have made, click Main Menu. All appointments will be listed in Upcoming Appointments.
- To cancel an appointment, click on the "x" on the right within the Upcoming Appointments box.
NOTE: Appointments made online must be made at least 24 hours in advance and can only be made up to seven days in advance.
When it is time for your appointment, log back into TutorTrac, which will now display the enter appointment box, which will contain a link to the assigned Collaborate Room. (This link will appear no sooner than 15 minutes before the scheduled start time).
Missing an Appointment
If you miss three appointments scheduled in advance, you will be unable to use the Bear CLAW’s services for the remainder of the semester. Canceling an appointment less than 24 hours before your scheduled time counts as a missed appointment.
Preparing for an Appointment
Our consultants will help you in every way possible during your session, but there are a few ways you can prepare ahead of time to make the most of your session:
- Please prepare your questions before your appointment
- Have your instructor's assignment sheet, related class handouts, and textbook at your side
- List your goals for your meeting
Every time you book, cancel, or move an appointment, we'll send you an e-mail about the change.
- Take Notes: One of the limitations of the system is that you can't capture the notes you and your consultant make on your draft, so be prepared to take notes yourself during the session.
- Click Out When You're Done: That's it! When the session is over, just X out of the page and you're done.
Converting Your Word Doc Into a PDF
This link will give you a step-by-step way to convert your Word document into a PDF so that you can display it on the Blackboard Collaborate platform.
For More Information
You can watch the YouTube video to let a tutor explain what you can expect.
You must use the Online scheduling system for online consultations for the spring 2021 semester.
You will use your BearPass Login credentials to schedule through TutorTrac.
Information for Faculty & Staff
We're looking forward to assisting your students! Please contact Michael Frizell, Director of Student Learning Services, before sending your students en masse to the Online Writing Center. In your email:
Include your prompt: Students often forget to share that with us. We want to ensure we're following directions, too.
- Indicate the due date: We want to make your job easier. Sharing the due date will allow us to allocate enough consultants to meet deadlines.
- Let us know how many students we can expect: This is helpful, too!
- Verifying submissions: If you need us to verify that your student submitted a paper, let us know. We can send you the exact day of submission and the proof of consultation.