We are currently receiving a high-volume of submissions! Please be patient with us and submit your work early.
Writing Consultants can work with:
- Academic writing
- Personal statements
- Creative writing
- Personal work
They cannot work with:
- Essay tests for a class
- Career Center documents such as resumes
The Bear CLAW Zoom Room
Talk to us using the Zoom Room! The receptionists at the Bear CLAW front desk are here to help! Log in to My Missouri State, navigate to the Campus Life tab, locate the Bear CLAW block, and click on the ZOOM Bear CLAW space.
Zoom Room Hours: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday - Thursday
Method #1: Email Consultations
Fall Service Dates: August 24 - December 3, 2020
Writers can obtain advice regarding their manuscript through an email consultation. A paper may be at any stage of the writing process. A writing consultant will read and give you an overview of the text's strengths and weaknesses. These comments will be returned to you as soon as possible, normally as follows:
- 1-5 pages: Up to 2 Business days.
- 6-10 pages: Up to 3 Business days.
- Over 10 pages: Up to 3-5 Business days
Comments are made using the "Track Changes" feature in Microsoft Word.
Please email your paper or text to email@example.com
Please note: We can accept submissions only from a valid live.missouristate.edu or .missouristate.edu accounts.
Attach your manuscript as a WORD or RTF document and type "Submission" in the subject line. In the body of your email, please include all of the following information:
- Your first and last name.
- Your native language (if not English).
- Your Missouri State University connection: seated summer class, dual credit, satellite location, study away – (where?), online course, or academic department.
- Tell us about the assignment (you can also share the assignment prompt, too). We really need this effectively assist you!
- Specific concerns and/or questions you have about your text.
*The Writing Center is closed whenever the university is closed. Please review the Academic Calendar.
Rules for Submission
Submissions are read in the order they are received.
Submissions are accepted only from a valid .missouristate.edu or live.missouristate.edu address.
Multiple submissions in one email are not allowed, so please send each one individually.
Please proofread your paper before sending it to the Online Writing Center!
Method #2: Synchronous Support Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
Fall Service Dates: August 24 - December 3, 2020
If you prefer to have a real-time consultation, writing consultants will meet with you using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra. The platform allows you to see and hear each other as well as share and edit documents in real time. Appointments must be made 24 hours in advance.
Steps to Book & Engage in a Synchronous Appointment
- How to Prepare and Access Blackboard Collaborate: You'll be emailed a direct link, so you won't need to log into the Blackboard system. You may want to check how the system works. This helpful page explains the ins and outs of using Collaborate.
- Contact the Director: Email me two or three times and dates that you can meet with a writing consultant and I'll schedule it for you. Please note that consultants do not work on Saturdays or whenever the university is closed.
- Put Your Session in Your Planner: Each session starts at the top of the hour. The consultant will wait fifteen minutes before logging out of the room.
- Access the Link: You'll be emailed a link. Don't click on the link too early! Another session may be happening. The consultant will finish that session in time to "meet" with you at the top of the hour.
- Take Notes: One of the limitations of the system is that you can't capture the notes you and your consultant make on your draft, so be prepared to take notes yourself during the session.
- Click Out When You're Done: That's it! When the session is over, just X out of the page and you're done.
Converting Your Word Doc Into a PDF
This link will give you a step-by-step way to convert your Word document into a PDF so that you can display it on the Blackboard Collaborate platform.
Scheduling a Synchronous Consultation
Send an email to Michael Frizell, Director of Student Learning Services. I'll send you a confirmation with the link to the virtual room.
Information for Faculty & Staff
We're looking forward to assisting your students! Please contact Michael Frizell, Director of Student Learning Services, before sending your students en masse to the Online Writing Center. In your email:
Include your prompt: Students often forget to share that with us. We want to ensure we're following directions, too.
- Indicate the due date: We want to make your job easier. Sharing the due date will allow us to allocate enough consultants to meet deadlines.
- Let us know how many students we can expect: This is helpful, too!
- Verifying submissions: If you need us to verify that your student submitted a paper, let us know. We can send you the exact day of submission and the proof of consultation.